VTech InnoTab Max Review
October 19, 2015 by
- If you only want your child to access / download VTech apps, this is perfect.
- No batteries to buy!!! Has an adapter and rechargeable lithium battery. The charger is really good and charges the InnoTab Max quickly. We actually use it for my children's other tablets as well.
- You can control what your child does, unlike regular tablets. You can regulate the time, apps, etc.
- You can send and receive texts to smart phones and other InnoTab tablets, and send 10 second voice messages. Parents can create and control a contact list as well as host family group chats.
- You can view their browsing history.
- This tablet is better suited for a young child, or a child who does not have experience with their own iPad or Android Tablet. They may miss being able to download apps from the Google Play Store or Apple Store, since their only options with this tablet are VTech apps. However, being able to access websites may help.
- The photos we took indoors were not clear.
- Some of the apps are expensive.
- 7" color touch screen with 1024x600 resolution. Rechargeable Lithium battery. USB Cable & Power Adapter. 1 stylus and a stylus string.
- InnoTab MAX is compatible with most titles in the InnoTab Cartridge Library with expert supported curriculum.
- VTech Kid Connect lets you send text and voice messages, photos, drawings and fun stickers between InnoTab® Max Tablets and smartphones.
- Plays videos and MP3 songs, 180° rotating camera, 8 GB memory - expandable up to 40 GB with 32 GB microSD card, 1.2 GHz processor and Android 4.2.2 operating system makes the InnoTab comparable to adult tablets.
- Enhanced Parental Controls allow parents to manage their child's apps, web access and tablet time. Also available in pink.
However, this does have many pluses. One big plus for me, is the ability for my children to send and receive texts and recorded messages using this. Most of my family live up North. We usually use Facetime or other means of video communication to keep in touch. But, that's only available to them when I'm around. I am not ready to let them have a cell phone, so I think the option of them being able to text family using the VTech InnoTab Max is really cool! I also ❤ the option that the contact list can only be created by a parent. Parents must download the VTech Kid Connect mobile app and can email friends and family inviting them to join as well.
For directions on setting up the contact list, click here.
My children also like to access YouTube for funny videos, cartoons or movies while we're on long drives. Using this tablet, I can go onto any website I choose in Parent Mode and add it to a list of approved sites for their use. On YouTube, there is an option in settings for "Restrict Mode", which is basically a child mode. Although no safety precaution is 100%, in most cases while they're on YouTube they are not exposed to anything I do not want them to view.
I am also able to add the paid educational websites they currently use, to their list of approved sites on the InnoTab Max. So, even when they're only interested in playing on the tablet, they still have access to software I already purchased so I don't feel as if I wasted money.
NOTE: The memory on this tablet is only 8GB, and with the size of many apps nowadays, that doesn't leave much space. However, you can purchase an SD card up to 32 GB for more space!
EXAMPLE OF OUR CONVERSATION
The recommended age of the VTech Innotab Max is 3 - 9 years old. That's quite a large age gap, but the apps include everything for a child learning to read, to a kid a bit more advanced. Comparing this tablet to what my children, 7 and 9 years old are accustomed to, this tablet in my opinion is better suited for a child who doesn't have much experience with an iPad or Android tablet and does not require the option of downloading advanced games or games that are not educational.
Disclaimer: The VTech InnoTab Max has been provided by VTech. The following review is my own honest opinion of this product. This post contains affiliate links.